If you want to make tons of money at your next garage sale, you’ll need to do some advance planning. The best garage sales require some serious work, but it’s sure to be worth it at the end of the day when your cash box it full. Follow my tips and you’ll have an incredibly successful garage sale.
1. Pick the perfect location. If you have a really small yard, an extremely long driveway, or there simply isn’t a lot of car or foot traffic, then you may want to hold it somewhere other than your home. Check around with friends and co-workers and see if they want to participate. They may have a more ideal home for the sale.
2. Choose a date. Weekends are best for garage sales because many more people have the weekends off, so your customer base will likely be larger.
3. Place an ad in the newspaper to advertise your sale. It should be placed about a day or two before the sale is to take place. The ad should contain your address, the date of the sale, the hours of operation and brief summary of what will be sold.
4. Price everything. Make sure that you don’t forget a single item; otherwise customers will assume the price is negotiable and you may be forced to take a price-cut.
5. Plan out the arrangement of tables and items. You’ll want to make sure that nothing is hidden in a box. Everything you want to sell should be visually available to customers; otherwise it can easily be overlooked.
6. Go to the bank with fifty dollars. Then ask for change in one’s and five’s.
7. Put up signs a few hours before the sale around your neighborhood.