Sports medicine is one form of medicine that focuses on athletes, how to cure their injuries faster without sacrificing their performance in their sports. The latest of the subject and huge efforts and funds that invested in this field has led to the development of what is really sports medicine about in actual practice. This article will talk about the key aspects of this disciple and its applicability in actual use.
There are basically two main dimensions in which this practice would be applied. The answer to the question, what is sports medicine in medical practice, lies in these two aspects:
1. Treatment of the physical disorders, illness and injuries and
2. prevention of further illnesses and injuries by promoting careful and methodical analysis and planning of injury-causing factors.
Traditionally, sports medicine is provided by the team’s physician. This is normally a real physician working for college sports teams, and or professional and other elite levels of athletes. Today, most sports medicine team are now composed of comprehensive team of trained health care professionals in various medical backgrounds like athletic training, biomechanics, exercise physiology, physical therapy, sports psychology and nutrition for better athlete performance and conditioning.
There’s a wide group of patients that benefits from the practice of this medicine. The service to the athletes, sportsperson, and even non-athletes or sports enthusiasts is the best benefit of this brand of medicine. Below is a list of main consumers and patients who are benefited by the practice of this field.
– Physical therapists. The treatment plans of PT specialists often come with the basics of the medicine. Most sports medicine professionals are qualified to work with team physicians, therapists, physiologists and even with team coaches.
– Research Specialists. The innovations in this field of medicine are applied even in research and study campaigns. Those professionals who works as biomechanists usually work in research and clinical settings. This discipline adds a new dimension in the study that concerns athlete’s health and performance.
– Corporate and Individuals. The basics of the medicine is important for anyone who wish to keep their body healthy and perform better in their type of sport.